Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Voice of The Voiceless

Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I am the voice of the voiceless;
Through me the dumb shall speak;
Till the deaf world's ear be made to hear
The cry of the wordless weak.
From street, from cage, and from kennel,
From jungle and stall, the wail
Of my tortured kin proclaims the sin
Of the mighty against the frail.

I am a ray from the centre;
And I will feed God's spark,
Till a great light glows in the night and shows
The dark deeds done in the dark.
And full on the thoughtless sleeper
Shall flash its glaring flame,
Till he wakens to see what crimes may be
Cloaked under an honoured name.

The same Force formed the sparrow
That fashioned man, the king;
The God of the Whole gave a spark of soul
To furred and to feathered thing.
And I am my brother's keeper,
And I will fight his fight,
And speak the word for beast and bird,
Till the world shall set things right.

Let no voice cavil at Science -
The strong torch-bearer of God;
For brave are his deeds, though dying creeds,
Must fall where his feet have trod.
But he who would trample kindness
And mercy into the dust -
He has missed the trail, and his quest will fail:
He is not the guide to trust.

For love is the true religion,
And love is the law sublime;
And all that is wrought, where love is not,
Will die at the touch of time.
And Science, the great revealer,
Must flame his torch at the Source;
And keep it bright with that holy light,
Or his feet shall fail on the course.

Oh, never a brute in the forest,
And never a snake in the fen,
Or ravening bird, starvation stirred,
Has hunted its prey like men.
For hunger, and fear, and passion
Alone drive beasts to slay,
But wonderful man, the crown of the plan,
Tortures, and kills, for play.

He goes well fed from his table;
He kisses his child and wife;
Then he haunts a wood, till he orphans a brood,
Or robs a deer of its life.
He aims at a speck in the azure;
Winged love, that has flown at a call;
It reels down to die, and he lets it lie;
His pleasure was seeing it fall.

And one there was, weary of laurels,
Of burdens and troubles of State;
So the jungle he sought, with the beautiful thought
Of shooting a she lion's mate.
And one came down from the pulpit,
In the pride of a duty done,
And his cloth sufficed, as his emblem of Christ,
While murder smoked out of his gun.

One strays from the haunts of fashion
With an indolent, unused brain;
But his sluggish heart feels a sudden start
In the purpose of giving pain.
And the fluttering flock of pigeons,
As they rise on eager wings,
From prison to death, bring a catch in his breath:
OH, THE RAPTURE OF KILLING THINGS!

Now, this is the race as we find it,
Where love, in the creed, spells hate;
And where bird and beast meet a foe in the priest
And in rulers of fashion and State.
But up to the Kingdom of Thinkers
Has risen the cry of our kin;
And the weapons of thought are burnished and brought
To clash with the bludgeons of sin.

Far Christ, of a million churches,
Come near to the earth again;
Be more than a Name; be a living Flame;
'Make Good' in the hearts of men.
Shine full on the path of Science,
And show it the heights above,
Where vast truths lie for the searching eye
That shall follow the torch of love.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

For love is the true religion,
And love is the law sublime;
And all that is wrought, where love is not,
Will die at the touch of time.


That is lovely, gave me goosebumps.

Mel said...

Those four lines are magnificent.

For love is the true religion,
And love is the law sublime;
And all that is wrought, where love is not,
Will die at the touch of time.

Thinkin' I might have to put those somewhere for safe keeping......

Enigma said...

It is lovely Jo, and something close to my heart, I am on the committee on some of the organizations on my side links, which are very active in protecting the weak, and the "voiceless"...and I am an animal lover, as we all know.
I read a book the other day, where a vivisectionist did an experiment on "love", he got a cat that had just had kittens, and put the kittens across the room from the mum.The floor was electrified, and by the time the mother reached the kittens, she was dead.Its this kind of fucked up sick science, that i WILL fight with all my might.

Enigma said...

Mel, we were commenting at the same time.
In this poem she is making referance to teddy roosevelt, as one of the political hunters, and i like this line
"And Science, the great revealer,
Must flame his torch at the Source;
And keep it bright with that holy light,
Or his feet shall fail on the course.'
Because intelligance without love and compassion, always breeds madness and cruelty.

L.P. said...

seems very appropriate for the day.
peoples' entitlement attitudes towards animals including diregard always sends me through the roof. Case in point - golfer who recently killed a hawk because it was making too much noise during filming of his tv show. Dickhead.

Enigma said...

es LP, thats a shitty thing for that golfer to do, and i'm suprised the Animal protection people didnt do something......

Anonymous said...

I was gonna say that 'love is the true religeon' is a great line and there others have said the same which goes to show the power of simplicity. The poem radiates out from that thought which is why it stands out so clearly. The rhythm and the honest language give the poem great force and direct emotonal power. Great poem.

Scot said...

what a great way to end my day--

Enigma said...

Ginga, there are so many layers in this, and it was written also as a slur against the popular politicians and religous leaders of the time.

Scott, glad it made your evening:)

Anonymous said...

for f's sake that makes me sick to my stomach, about the kittens, oh I cannot bear that. How do they think these things up? Really, that is so sick.

Enigma said...

Yeah, Jo...it is a book on vivesection.I didnt know whether to say that or not, as I knew it would upset people, but there is so much cruely in this world we often just turn away from. It really upset me,also I was in tears when i read it.. especailly as my little feral mum is about to have another load any day..and i have been enjoying her zen like contentment with her birth preparations.
Thats why killing something to study it is so wrong, when we analyse something, we disect it, and when you disect something, you normally kill it...this is pretty much true for everything in life, really.

ozymandiaz said...

A vivisection of Love?
The experiment of one whome has never known it personaly so they try and quantify it to fill the void within. I say we fill it with dynomite...

Enigma said...

ozzy ,you have summed up the insane ridiculness of an experiment on love, and thats exactly what i thought about the scientist.
And you know dyanamite is my bussiness, so i agree, lets blast it.

Ron said...

Bravo Enigma for posting this!!!

Because you don't EVEN want to hear what I have to say about cruelty to animals...it friggin' INFURIATES my ass to no end!!

MY GOD...I can't even kill a little spider in my bathtub.

And people who HUNT??@#?!?#?

I actually ended my relationship with a long standing friend, because she use to BRAG in her "Christmas" cards, about how her son would shoot and kill deer. And this was the same woman who would also BRAG in the SAME Christmas card, about how RELIGIOUS her family was!?!

Well...she's not in my life anymore!

Thank you for posting this, dear friend. It NEEDED to be shared!

The End

Enigma said...

Ron, I broke up with a guy i was crazy over once, as he used to kill stray cats.i became instantly unemarmoured of him.

Anonymous said...

Kill stray cats? Psychopath, pure and simple. Can you tell I'm still enraged about the experiment, I just keep thinking of how you feel after you give birth, human or cat, that instinct to protect absolutely, and given it is instinct, animals will feel as we would, then for someone to snatch them away. For christ sake. It is staggering.

enigma said...

Jo, I know exactly how you feel.the mother instinct IS so strong, and as i mentioned, my little feral mum is about to give birth any day....and i have been loving watching her and her other kittens.There is so much ignorance in this world, i dont say cruelty, because it really boils down to ignorance.
I had a dream once about this ignorance, i have been debating wehter to blog about it, as its more personal than i usually like to get.
And as awful as it is, the up side is great people like yourself, and others, are disturbed by it.

Anonymous said...

It strikes a chord with me because it's like you said... there are haps of layers in this. It instantly made me think on how cruel Mankind is to others - it's own kind most of all!

I despise any scenario that allows for the picking on or using of 'the weak' for someones gain or pleasure. I've seen so much of it, and it's such a double edged sword... how far do you take things to right it for the good? Balance is a precarious thing at the best of times... how do you maintain it at that level?

Hmmmmm... oh my aching brain!!!

Enigma said...

Hi Belli, thats an interesting thought, how far do we take it? I believe the expression'for evil to triumph , all it takes is for good men to do nothing"
I worked in the real world for a while last year, for a big persoanl development agency, and the corruption, and expoitation of weaker people was rife....so after a while i went to the CEO, told her my fearsand the people i believed were responsable for it, she said she would address the issues, nothing happpened, so I resighned.an hour after I did that,she sacked all the people who were creating the curoption and fear , and totally changed the structure of the bussiness. I believe in leading by example, and even though i left what coulve been a dream job,I had the satisfaction of knowing that people who were formally powerless, now had a say because of my actions of standing up for what I felt was right.

L.P. said...

yeah, yeah - already... where's the shoes you promised?

~tapping foot~
grin!

Enigma said...

You are so funny LP, enough of the bleeding heart stuff, lets get down to the serious bussiness of shoes *laughing*' the shoes are coming up.i bought a pair of green sued high heel bootsI was going to post.. I havnt a camera at the moment though.

L.P. said...

Argh! You TEASE!

me said...

Hello you :) I saw your comment so popped over to say I sent an email to the address that is linked to your comments but maybe you didn't receive them? Shout at me with a different address and I'll forward them on. Everythings going amazingly well - two festival performances (I got asked to do another just last night)lined up so far this year and the website is nearing completion but won't go live until there is paperwork out there for people to come back with, which will be end of April/May. Ohhhhhhhhhhh, it's so exciting. I'm trying not to comment folk... just private email as - well, some people prefer not to see my name around and hey, I'm always willing to oblige ;)
Write to me!

me said...

Oh! and I have purple suede heeled boots... you gotta love that soft, soft feel with the kickback spike. :D

Enigma said...

Narmie...where is your email?.I,ll go look.

me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
enigma said...

, i dont know if I can delet it, I think you have to. I will try.I will email you.

Enigma said...

Narnie, the simple things in life often escape me. Done.