Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Tail of 3 Kittens (free to good homes)

This blog is pretty much posted for the Aussies .
I have been looking after a feral mother cat, and her 3 kittens for the last 3 months.
I first came across her and her newborn kittens when I heard them miaowing in an abandoned building down the road. On investigation, there were 5 of them, about 2 days old.Unfortunately one of them had already died.

I didn't know the house was empty, so I left a note under the door for the owners. I returned the next day, but she had disappeared with 3 of them, leaving one of them behind.
I took him home and called him Edgar Wexman.

Little Edgar Wexman
We fed the little tyke around the clock every 2 hours with special kitten formula, and for 3 weeks he seemed to be thriving, but then unfortunately the poor little bugger abruptly lost weight, and died. It broke my heart.

In the meanwhile I found the mum , still at the house, and started feeding her everyday.
She became extremely attached to me, would sit in my lap purring, follow me everywhere and tried to call the 3 kittens to me, but not being around people, they were totally wild.

This went on for the next 2 months, and then we trapped mum and the kittens and brought them home. The plan being, keep them in my basement, domesticate them, and re-home the kittens, and de-sex and keep Mum (who I have called Petal).

Unfortunately Petal clawed her way through the fortifications I made to the room they were in, and moved them into the underneath inaccessible part of the basement.

So there they were, living in my basement, running away every time they saw me, getting wilder and wilder, shoving themselves into bits of brickwork I didn't know were there, escaping through tiny holes into the back of the house , falling down between the double brick work in the walls (we had to sledge hammer one of them out) and peeing and crapping everywhere.

Then the basement flooded in the heavy rain, they were trapped on islands of old furniture, surrounded by a foot of water. I had to leave the door open to try and dry it out, which I didn't think would be a problem, as I have done it before and they always stayed where mum and the food was.
Then Petal decided she didn't like the wet smelly digs (I cant blame her) and moved the whole family back down the bloody road to the original abandoned building.

So this is where we are now , I am feeding them again everyday. I am going to trap them again in the next few days, which brings me to point of this blog.
I desperately need to find homes for them.

They are really cute, black and white, getting less timid, very healthy, fat and fluffy.
I am trying to get photos of them to post.
There is a little girl who I have called Sandy, she is the boldest out of all of them, and will let me pick her up. The 2 boys, Randy & Andy, are bigger and more timid.
If they are taken while they are this young, they will settle down once they are with people, as they already let me sit with them while they are eating.
I have rung up every cat place I can think of to take them, but as they are really timid, all they say is they will put them down.

I am running out of options with them, and getting desperate.

So, if anyone wants them, please email me at: notwhatitseems1@gmail.com and I will arrange for them to be picked up.

Thanks
Enigma

18 comments:

The Exception said...

I have rescued a few cats. My heart is with you on this. I would help all I could if I were there. (I have a soft spot for cats). I hope that you find them great homes...

Mel said...

Ohmygosh......made my heart hurt to read about the poor things.

(and I'm not a lover of cats by any means)

I do hope for good homes for the kitties. They've been well looked after, considering their hard beginnings.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

A lovely piece of writing, rapid, concise, real, not much of a cat person myself but I almost said me me I will, which just goes to show the power of your compassion,

Enigma said...

Thanks gingatao...funnily enough I didnt think about the writing when I wrote this, I just really need to get the little sods a home.
How about you take 2? I'll send them by Fed Express , I'll pay,off course.

Enigma said...

TE ; I can do what I suggested to Ginga...air frieght?

Mel, I have rehomed heaps of stray ,abandoned, and abused animals, but this is turning into a major project.
and *hugs* back to you, my special girl XX

Anonymous said...

Well I already said I so don't do cats but if I weren't allergic I'd take one, and too many miles away.......I hate to think of them without homes. I hope something comes along.

me said...

I have my two from a sheltered house... we have little old ladies on street corners here who take in dozens of cats. Have you tried the local vets to see if there's any batty old lovely women like that down your way? I gave my lady £40 to help feed the other cats and she was overwhelmed... she takes them all in because she loves them so. How wonderful of you to do this for them though. :S

Enigma said...

Jo- how about i shave and air frieght them to you?

Narnie-I think i am turning into the mad little old lady, the 2 I already have were abandoned.I have called everyone, there is an explosion of kittens this yearand everyone seems to have kittens.
The house were they were born was owned by an old lady,who fed them all, she is now in a nursing home..
Oh well, I,ll just advertise more, I have to catch the little buggers again first,though

Anonymous said...

I just remembered years ago living in share house where a cat moved in of its own accord. There was much discussion about names and finally it was decided ED, not short for Edward but for Emergency Dinner, we were poor students at the time.

Enigma said...

G- that is terrible LOL, were you really that poor?
My 2 cats are called "Fluff-Rat & Lard -Arse' or Fluff and Lard for short.

Ron said...

Oh, Enigma....you CAT ANGEL you!! What a wonderful thing you did for these precious kitties!!

I LOVE cats so much!

My mom use to have a small business in which all the proceeds went to spaying and neutering abandon cats in the area. I use to love going in her store and seeing 20 kitties, all laying around on the furniture.

You've done SO much for this little family of kitties. Bless you, dear lady.

I SWEAR...if I was there...I'd adopt one. I'll send them lots of Reiki!

Thanks for being such a wonderful caregiver...God love ya!

Anonymous said...

Shaving, snorting.....I LOVE the names you've given your cats, nothing worse than cutsey names for pets!

Enigma said...

Hi ron, your mum sounds like me, at one stage I had 15 cats, and 2 dogs..and variuos asorted other creatures i had rescued. My son was used to coming home and finding signs taped up with "dont go in the bathroom, theres a ....in their"No wonder you are so compassionate.

Jo, There shaved and ready to go, whats your address again? I called them after our American directors family, Wife candy(big white teeth)kids etc.

Effortlessly Average said...

There's always the Loreal Cosmetics lab.

Effortlessly Average said...

I'm kidding! Really! No, really I am!

Enigma said...

EA, that is terrible...my mother did that once. Gave kittens I had to the uni for experiments.....I am still traumatised.

Effortlessly Average said...

Hey, I didn't say I would do it, only that it was one option. heh.

Enigma said...

EA, it HAS crossed my mind.