Sunday, January 13, 2008

Conversations With Mum


I was at my mums house yesterday and the conversation went something like this:

Enigmas Mum
"You know Enigma, I was listening to the radio the other day, and that really nice vet , Dr Harry Neuter, was talking about how dangerous it is to feed your cats onions.'
He was saying that there is something in the chemicals in onions that doesn't agree with the chemicals in cats, and it can actually KILL them .
Your not feeding your cats onions are you?" *worried expression*

Enigma:
*rather amused*
"No Mum, I'm not feeding my cats onions, I do give them chopped up garlic in their food sometimes though , as its a natural parasite killer".

Enigmas Mum:
*eyes begging to glaze *
I really hope your not giving them onions, Enigma, Dr Neuter was really emphatic about it, he said onions can KILL them, and he said they could just drop down dead on the spot!!!!!

Enigma:
*trying to be patient*
"I didn't say I feeding them onions , Mum , I SAID I was feeding them garlic".

Enigmas Mum
*becoming agitated*
"Well , there has been five cat onion deaths already, its so serious they are about to do a public enquiry into it. Enigma I really thought you of all people would have been aware of it, they have been trying to educate the public about the danger, its been on Today Tonight, and Oprah has even done a show on it, how can you keep giving them onions when there has been such a scandal about it?
You really do have to keep up with current affairs more Enigma."

Enigma
*starting to loose patience*
Mum, listen to me, I'm not feeding them onions, I'm feeding them garlic, and I only give it to them about once a month anyway".

Enigmas mum
*beginning to panic*
How many onions have you given them? They could be ticking time bombs, they may drop dead at any moment!
We have to call Dr Neuter straight away, *wringing hands and reaching for the phone*

Enigma ,
*loosing it*
MUM , I'M NOT FEEDING THEM BLOODY ONIONS!! I'm giving them GARLIC !!!

Enigmas Mum:
*subsiding back onto the lounge*
"Oh....Oh... Well , that's probably alright then Dear, just as long as you don't give them onions they should be fine".

A long pause whilst Enigma, and Enigmas Mum recover from the near onion tragedy
.
Enigma:
"Would you like a cup of tea, Mum?"

Enigmas Mum:
"Yes Dear, that would be lovely".

Mums cat follows Enigma into the kitchen and Enigma notices his food his bowl is empty

Enigma:
*calling from kitchen*
"Mum do you want me to feed the cat?"

Enigmas Mum:
"Yes Dear , I was just about to do it myself, but I forgot in all the excitement".

Enigma:
"Here's your food , Puddy Cat," spooning food into his bowl.

Suddenly there's a horrified scream from the lounge room,

DEAR GOD, YOUR NOT FEEDING HIM ONIONS ARE YOU!!!! ?

22 comments:

Mel said...

ROFL

I'm such a poopus.....I'da called back:

"What's that? Hang on. Lemme finish chopping up this onion and I'll be right with ya."

LOL
I'm SUCH a poopus!

Kat Wilder said...

Ha! As a daughter of a slightly neurotic mother (now with memory problems, a bad combo!), I can so relate.

Of course, as a mom, I sometimes hear the most ridiculous things come out of my mouth, making my teen roll his eyes with a "I can't believe you said that AGAIN" look.

God help us!!!!

He said...

[laughing]

Brilliant. I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that that particular combination of selective deafness and neurotic behavior isn't limited to mothers in the States.

H.

The Exception said...

Do people seriously give their cats onions??

I loved this... I could hear my grandmother and my mother in a few years... so much to anticipate!

Enigma said...

Mel ,thats so funny, unfortunately my mum, bless her, takes things very seriously, my son thinks its hysterically funny, and winds her up all the time.
Kat, my mum has always been eccentric, with a bad memory, and now shes older its getting worse, and I am very used to that look from the teenage son.

He, I think it transcends cultures.

Enigma said...

T E, I left out all the beginning dialouge where I said 'Oh for gods sake, whos going to give their cats onions, and what cat would eat them anyway?
Yep, theres a lot to look forward to.

Indiana said...

~LOL~

It's easier to just agree with them, yes, I am a bad son...yes, I should call more often...

...it so saves the ulcer.

Enigma said...

Indiana your right, you think i would have learnt by now, just to always agree.

Ron said...

Oh, my...I wonder if ALL mothers have to take a "Mother Test" before they can actually become a mother???

Because "this" would be MINE too!!!

(God love them)

FUNNY, FUNNY post!!!

Ok, now I'm going to read some of your other posts....

Thanks again for stopping by my place. So nice to meet you, Enigma!

P.S. I LOVE cats!!!

Enigma said...

Nice to meet you too, Ron, anyone that hangs out at Mels is definetly welcome to hang here:)

Midnight said...

That was hilarious but kind of sad too! I guess it's payback time for those teenage years!!

Enigma said...

Thats one way of looking at it Middy, I was a hell of a teenager, and put my mum through a really hard time,so I suppose it is payback, just remember, Don't give your cats onions!!!

Unknown said...

I like your mum's focus, Enigma.

Cats first, then...the cat.

We'd get along juuuuuust fine.

(I think she'd like Middy too.)

Enigma said...

Wombie, my mother is obsessed over her 20 year old Burmese, who used to be mine. He can DO NO WRONG !!!!

Anonymous said...

Ummm... is ti the time to tell you that onion and garlic are actually very similar... oops!!! ;-)

lol

And as to cats - well... I come from a crayfishing town, and I love me local wildlife - what more can I say?

Not much probably - especially in front of Wombat!

Mothers eh... lol - I'm gonna chuckle about that for awhile I reckon - good yarn Enigma... Ta mate!

Scorpy said...

LOL...I just had flash backs of every conversation I ever had with my Nan :0 very, very funny

Enigma said...

Belongum, yes mate, i would,nt say that in front of Wombat, especially as he is packing heat in his rear pouch as you pointed out (that comment cracked me up BTW)or in front of Middy ,for that matter.
Scorpy, it was like a bad acid trip, endless flashbacks.

Iron Pugilist said...

This conversation is just too hilarious to be true.

Enigma said...

Ip ,it is true, there is nothing on my blog, or my comments that isnt true.

bili said...

hehehehe... that was funny...;)

me said...

My mum is the same, haha. She reads the Daily Mail and watches GMTV which has pretty much set her up to be the most worried person on the planet. Did the vet mention radishes at all? heheh...

Enigma said...

Hi Billi, lovely to see you, and Narnie...please lets not mention the radishes.