Sunday, January 6, 2008

Floods

I never post anything personal here, its just my way, but today is an exception.

Today I watched our dam break its banks, roaring and gushing with unbelievable power, taking trees, an orchard and our tractor with it.

I watched our bridge wash out, huge trees swept down a river (which wasn't there an hour before) and our wharf disappear under 5 feet of water.

When it had subsided somewhat, I put on my gum boots, shorts , Akubra and Driz-a-Bone (Aussie raincoat) got in our jeep, and inspected the damage.

Luckily the damage isn,t extensive, we are not cut of, and our house is on top of a valley, so we are safe.

The force of nature is truly a breathtaking thing.

So to all you Aussies out there who are affected by the floods, I hope you are dry and safe.

12 comments:

Iron Pugilist said...

I love rain and floods and it's quite unfortunate that some people are suffering because of it. I hope you are safe as well.

Enigma said...

Thanks IP ,we are pretty well prepared, my motto is that of the marines, improvise, adapt and overcome. Hope you are feeling better.

The Exception said...

Glad that you are okay.

The power of nature consistantly reminds me to take a deep breath and place things in their propper perspective - there is so much more that lies beyond my understanding.

Mel said...

Oh, I know too well the power of flooding.
Scary, awesome stuff......

Stay safe!

A 'driz-a-bone'...LOL I think I like that!

Indiana said...

The power of nature really does just show us sometimes how puny our efforts to control our world really are.

Glad you are ok.

Enigma said...

Yes indy it was amazing to watch, we watched the dam just let loose, truly awae inspiring.now were just moping up.

Girl said...

Nature is amazing as long as no one dies.

Good to hear you're ok.

Enigma said...

Thank you Girl,very valid point, if someone had died it wouldnt have been so amazing then .

skinny said...

good to learn you're alright and the house is fine. hope your neighbours will be fine soon.

Wombat said...

The great brown land, a place of extremes.

Glad your place, and you, are okay, Enigma.

Enigma said...

Thanks Wombat

Enigma said...

Hi Skinny, The nearest neighbours are really far away, but from what i heard they are O:K.